My Craft Room



My turquoise room. Now that it is all tidied up I may actually MAKE something in here. Usually we are painting on the kitchen island or building something on the potting bench. It is a great place for storage and Macy says she could sit in here and read all day (and that makes me happy). I painted the walls when we moved in three summers ago; I was inspired by Alicia Paulson's so very cute sewing room. I cannot find a link to studio photos, and she has since repainted to the colour of our bedroom. I am sure the old pictures are there somewhere and when I can find a link I will add it. My tastes have changed in three years, but everything in here still makes me smile.



We live in a circa 1965 split level, so this is one of the two small bedrooms on the lower level. This is what you see when you walk by. You used to see more, but I finally put a few things away. My paternal grandfather made the sewing cabinet for my mom in the seventies -- more great storage. It needs to be white. On my list.



The window faces east so the light is quite good.  The small green cabinet was from a friend's kitchen when she remodelled. My dear friend Carrey gave me the great table... boy, did they ever make things sturdy way back when!




Pretty much everything in here I have had for ages... like my eighties shelf. The cut out hearts will come back in style again.... maybe. 



This is newer -- I loved the poster I saw on etsy and had to make my own version. One of the things my nieces and I loved to do back in the eighties was feed french fries to the seagulls. Now my daughter and I do it and it is always good for some laughs.



I love this old plate, it cracks me up. Grandma Gladys had a huge pink 50's travel trailer -- what I wouldn't give for a colour photo of all of us in front of it. The flash card is one of the set mom bought in the sixties. The photo in the clock was taken in 1875 and has a few of my husband's ancestors in it. That's a good post for another day.



Macy's reading corner and my pillow top (inspired by Lucy at Attic 24) that I finally found backing for. I must get that put together. Note the extension cord. One thing about older houses, you get the bare minimum of electrical outlets and they're never where you want them.




More old things I've had forever that make me smile. The shadow box has pictures of Macy at three months and my mom and me the same age. Buttons from my great grandma's sewing basket and flowers crocheted by my Aunt Marlene. The wee winged girl is my dear Grandma Becker and the farmhouse is the one my mom was raised in.



One of my all time favourite things: This cupboard was always in my grandpa's wood shop. When Grandpa passed away no one else wanted the old cupboards so I was the lucky girl who took them home. I've painted it twice now and love, love it. It holds so many craft supplies (photos to come after a big spring cleaning) and I love the little side bit for displays. The plain ole mirror came out of the ladies washroom in a curling rink somewhere in rural Alberta.


My lovely assistant waving. She was in school this morning so that is why I have the lens cap cover in a photo I took today. She is great at catching those things and offering display suggestions. It is she in the silhouette at age seven -- I love making digital silhouettes... so easy peasy. I made the Keep Calm & Carry Yarn mini poster and the pillows too. Way back when I quilted as much as I crochet now.



Even more storage. Must get busy on painting frames and framing a whole lot of family portraits for a photo wall at Mom's. Then I will be able to get rid of at least two boxes in there. The weather is almost warm enough to spray paint outside. Happy days.



I love this china cabinet. I would have loved an old, old cupboard, but we found this sixties number and I painted it and changed the knobs. More great storage and display space and it is so sturdy. 



I fancied up a set of antler's (no shortage of those when you grew up eating game) and they have always been one of my favourite things about this room. My husband took the photo of Macy when she was three. It's one of my most favourite pictures of her ever. Max's favourite is the treats that are always on hand in the canister. He may even get a few more of them now that we can move around in here and make something! Thanks for visiting!

Linking up to:
Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

8 comments

  1. This is a great craft room! Wish it were mine!
    I would love if you came by my Creative Inspirations party to link it up! I would love to see you there!
    Stacey of Embracing Change
    http://staceyembracingchange.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so JEALOUS! I want a room like this. My husband recently started working at home and one of my girls had to give up her bedroom so daddy could have an office. I have to admit as I was clearing out the room I was wishing it could be mine. Some day... Yours is very very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love everything about this cheerful room. Especially all the touches of red. But also the things that came from dear family and friends. You did a great job here. I would want to spend every spare minute in a room this cheerful.
    I, too, Posted about my Craft Room today in case you want to take a peek.
    Happy Spring,
    M.L.
    P.S. I'm in loooove with your ironing board cover : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE your craft space! The color is so fun and probably inspires you to want to create! I recently redid my craft room too, you can see it here on my blog if you are interested! http://littlevintagecottage.blogspot.com/2012/02/craft-studio-reveal.html

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cheerful and cozy craft room! I think I could sit in there and read all day too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your bright, happy space filled with pieces that have such history to you. The colors remind me of Kath Kidston fabrics which I love. Your crocheted pillow and banner on previous post are adorable! We have a 1920 house and our fireplace mantel is also very shallow and hard to "decorate".

    I have a similar plate with pink flamingos that a friend brought back from Los Vegas for me. :@

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well look at your craft room! I hope mine looks so cheerful and neat and tidy when I get it finished. I love those cupboards and the fact that they were your grandpa's. That twig chair is so cool too. I've always loved twig furniture. I can't wait until my room is done now!

    I sent you a reply to your email, then saw that you have it set to no reply, so you won't get it. Thank you for stopping by and leaving a sweet comment!

    Have a lovely week!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love everything about your craft room! Would you mind sharing the color/brand of the wall paint? thanks

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your visit and comments! :)