EAT for free!


I knew that I needed one of these signs for my freshly de-80'd kitchen but between the price and the cost of shipping (almost $80.00) I knew I could make one much cheaper myself. So... I did.



I mean WE did. I used a font I liked and printed it, made a pattern, and DH cut it out for me. I could have (I had many more woodworking tools when we met than he did) but he is darn good with a jig saw. I would have liked to make this out of pine, but we had a piece of MDF left after the kitchen reno, so we used that.



I primed, painted it my island colour (actually not near as periwinkle as it looks here), then again with turquoise craft paint and sanded. Still not quite right so I dry brushed on ivory and white. Then sanded.



My EAT sign; total cost: FREE!

I'm still working on my nook. I've got finishing to do on the three pane window, still not sure about the placement of the hanging mason jar (the jar holder was my husband's great grandmother's and has a turquoise wooden handle {LOVE}). I am going to paint 'HOMEMADE SOUP  25 cents*' on the glass of the tray a la Miss Mustard Seed's awesome tutorial.

*You know you're getting old vintage when you miss the cents symbol that used to be on the typewriters and is not on a keyboard.



The view from the deck door.  My shelves are a work in progress too. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Thanks for peeking! :)

Linking up to:

Funky Junk's Sat Nite Special

20 comments

  1. Hi, I came over from Sunny's". I love your sign, very cute and looks great in the kitchen...and very appropriate! I will have to check out the glass tutorial you recommended, that would be fun to do.(-:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dontcha just love an amazing free project? Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's so cute! I love that fresh little nook.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very impressive. Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your kind comment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your kitchen! Love the sign - so cool! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a sweet comment about my Frosty blocks!

    Sending hugs your way.

    Kristi
    Punkin Seed Productions

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice job with the jigsaw {{DH}}I really like the color pop it adds there. For free? That is awesome! You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the sign, way to get the man involved! I love the use of the blue color in your kitchen with the sign and the ball jars. Very crisp and clean. Too, thanks for leaving a comment on my sewing cabinet, it is one of my faves too:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The sign caught my eye. Perfect for my kitchen. But I absolutely flipped for your breakfast nook.
    I hope you don't mind if I copy. I love the bead board and the corner shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Help me... I've been looking forward to your next post, and, girl, you didn't disappoint. Can I come 'round for breakfast? Please??
    Nosuggestions for the shelves, I can't think of anything I would change in that little corner of paradise.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your sign. You all did a very professional job -- you'd never know it wasn't the expensive one you wanted! Great color, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job on your 'EAT' sign! It gives your nook a nice 'pop' of color! Thanks for your sweet comment at 'Tending The Nest'

    ~Gaia~

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE this! What a great job, it looks gorgeous, especially the color with your room. Kudos to your hubby, too! I just know as you continue to style this room it will just get more beautiful, you have such a good eye!

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a wonderful space! i love that sign, too, perfect look!

    so glad you liked the tweaking i did, it was a real stroke of genius with the ribbon. thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for stopping by, I didn't realize anyone had commented. It was a nice surprise! I have to tell you that your blog is awesome, the "eat" sign turned out amazing. I have actually saved that etsy shop as one of my favorites. But I'm with you I just can't afford it. Awesome job! You have a new follower:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. How CUTE is your kitchen!? And lucky you to have a handy hubby. Mine's still learning ;)
    I love that it says "eat" too! "Yum" would be a cute one too. You should sell these!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love you sign!!! (and the color)

    Thank you for stopping by and commenting on my Crate & Barrel knock-off bookcases.

    Have a great day ~Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello fellow new blogger! Thanks for visiting my blog today. I'm loving your dining area. My favorite part about it is that it's so clean and bright looking. I can't wait to see your sign!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great idea for your EAT sign. I love it with the old windows and the wainscoting. Such a fun little area.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your "eat" sign! The nook is awesome! I'm surprised no one metioned the mouse!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your eating area! I've been wanting my hubby to get a jig saw, so he can make an "eat" sign just like yours! Well done! Oh, I also really love the white bead board and your window!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your visit and comments! :)